Thursday, July 9, 2015

2015 State Fair Projects: Beaded Brooch


Just finished the first of my entries to the 2015 North Carolina State Fair that will be held in October. I'll enter this in the beaded jewelry category with not much hope for a ribbon since it will be in competition with all the other beaded pieces. But I like the idea of having tatting represented in a jewelry category that sees few or no items using this technique. Got to show people that tatting is not all doilies! 

The pattern is one that I've now done five times, but only the second time I've made it using beads. The pattern is "Carnation Boutonniere" from New Things Happen to Tatting, Book 159 (The Spool Cotton Company, 1941). It was reprinted in The Tatter's Treasure Chest, Dover Publications, 1990, which is still available from tatting book suppliers.

The thread is size 20 Lizbeth in color 6o1 White. The beads are Miyuki Delica Seed Beads 11/0 Galvanized Pewter DB436. The button is a glass with silver button from my vintage button collection.

I usually piece together a fastener for my brooches with a bar pin attached to some sort of stiff backing, but this time I decided to go more professional even though, according the the Fair's premium book, the findings used in jewelry pieces will not be part of the judging.


I used a two-part perforated screen pin back I found at Ornamentea, a bead shop in Raleigh, NC. Lucky me, they had marked these down to half price so I bought all they had left in this size and in a larger size. I thought I would be using the larger size, but the screen showed through the front of the tatting so I went with the smaller size.


So one project down and several more to go. The next project to finish will be a pillowcase edging. Stayed tuned.

1 comment:

Madtatter80 said...

Wonderful piece and I think I have that book. Isn't it funny that you totally miss an item or pattern till someone else makes it. Wonderful to see how the button adorned the tatting or visa versa nice choice of beads too! I think it will when something :) take care from Carollyn