Sunday, June 6, 2010

Knitting or crocheting for charity is a great way to use up stash. In January I joined a group of knitters that meet monthly to knit scarves, hats, blankets that will be donated to local charities. I love knitting or crocheting scarves. One ball of yarn is often enough to make a decent length scarf and, the thing I love most, gauge is not an issue. It's also a great way to try out new stitch patterns. Since I started shopping my stash in January, I've made 20+ scarves. I'll post photos of them as I complete them. Here's one that uses leftover acrylic yarns (mostly Red Heart) and is knit lengthwise. I like to the lengthwise scarves with the stripes symmetrical. Cast on 190-200 stitches and knit in garter stitch to either the desired width or till you run out of yarn.


.

1 comment:

Sewicked said...

Have you heard about Operation Gratitude? They send scarves to soldiers in Afghanistand & Iraq. They have certain width, color and length requirements, but the recipients are so appreciative.