Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Off the Needles: Tweedy Cotton Scarf


I just finished this light-weight scarf suitable for cool, rather than cold, weather. The yarn is from stash I bought about three years from a yarn shop in Hillsborough, NC, on a visit to the town with my daughter. It's Noro's "Sekku" in colorway 1. The yarn is a blend of cotton (50%), wool (17%), nylon (17%), and silk (16%). 

Some parts of the strands were really thin, almost like heavy sewing thread. I'm not sure how well an item knitted with one strand would hold up with such thin areas in the skein. Fortunately, I bought two balls of the yarn so I could use two strands of the yarn for the project.

The pattern is adapted from "ZickZack Scarf Pattern," a free pattern on Ravelry. The original version is 96 stitches wide; my version is 60 stitches wide. Each row is knitted the same:[k5 k2tog k4 kfb] 5 times. I used size 3 needles.

Once again, I'm still fiddling with my digital camera to get the colors right. From what I've heard from others using similar cameras, achieving true colors of craft works is almost impossible without moving up to more expensive, professional equipment...which I'm not ready to do. What is showing up here as blue is really purple and lavender; there actually is no blue in this colorway of the yarn. The other colors in the photo, however, are accurate. 

2 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Pretty scarf to use up your stash.

Madtatter80 said...

I remember this pattern it was my moms favorite, but she said can get tricky and she sometimes lost a stitch at the end. I hear ya with the lighting it is very interesting playing with camera!