Monday, November 3, 2014

Off the Needles: Scarf for Amy


One of the places my daughter Amy and I visited during our trip to New York City was the Lion Brand Yarn Studio. While there Amy bought black and grey skeins of "Gold Leaf"  yarn. This is a super bulky yarn that looks as if someone took silver paint and dabbed dashes of it on the yarn. 


I used size 10 knitting needles and cast on 16 stitches. I knit one row of knit stitches then changed to a k2, p2 pattern, ending with a row of knit stitches and then cast off. I used 4 skeins of yarn, 2 of each color since the skeins are only 49 yards (45 meters) long. I started with the grey yarn and knitted till I ran out, then changed to the black yarn. Since the point of the yarn is the silver spots, I wanted as much of these to show on the scarf and not be buried inside stitches. So occasionally I had to give a strand a little twist to bring the silver spot to the outside of the stitch. 

When folded and looped, the scarf looks as if she is wearing two scarves. As you can see from the photo, she's pleased with the results. And as this yarn knits up really fast, I am pleased to have it in and out of my stash in just a couple of days.

No comments: