Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Off the Needles: Lithuanian Beaded Wristlets


I finished one of the projects from classes I took at this year's Unwind knitting retreat.  I started making one of the Lithuanian Beaded Wrist Warmers in a class taught by Donna Druchunas and finished it and its mate this week. The red yarn is Knit Picks "Gloss" in scarlet. This fingering weight yarn is 70% merino wool and 30% silk. The beads are white glass Czech beads provided by Donna in our class. The beads have to be strung onto the yarn before knitting. For this pair, I cast on 50 stitches. 

This wristlets are great fun to knit. They're all garter stitch, and you can use almost any charted design for the beading. Since they're meant to be worn under a coat, only the ends that will show need to be beaded. This makes them even quicker to finish. I've already started another pair for a daughter of one of my friends. Since her wrist is only 5" around, it's going really fast; one is finished and I'm halfway through its mate. I have plans for at least 3 more pairs of these. They are so lovely and so easy to make...my ideal project.

1 comment:

Madtatter80 said...

I do so love the guarder stitch and the pattern I have been trying to get around to making some but haven't yet !