Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Crocheting with Light--Not an April Fool's Day Joke!

For the 4th year I'll be doing a demonstration called "Fiber Crafts Using Non-Traditional Materials" at the annual Carolina FiberFest on April 5th in Sanford, NC. As in the past, I'll have examples of knitting, crochet, and weaving using recycled materials such as hosiery, cut up tee shirts, fabric waste, rope, and videotapes.  I try to add something new each year. This year I was inspired by a photograph I saw on the Web of a knitted rug using LED rope light. I decided to use the rope light to make a giant crocheted doily. 


I used an 18-foot-long warm white LED rope light purchased at a hardware center. The yarn is a clothesline-weight synthetic that somehow ended up in my stash over the years. The finished piece is 28 inches across. It still needs some blocking to get it into a more rounded shape. I think it will attract a lot of visitors to my demonstration area. It certainly fulfills the definition of a non-traditional material!

Update:  Here's the piece finally blocked and hung over my fireplace. I attached it to a metal ring that gives its shape more stability and makes it easier to use for off-site displays.






No comments: