Saturday, February 10, 2018

Valentine Tatting Shuttle



In time for Valentine's Day, my latest "blinged" shuttle. This was my 1st attempt using UV-activated gel as a top coat. I think I made the coating too thick as it stayed tacky even after applying the UV light several times. So next time I try this I'll apply multiple, but thinner, coats. I ended up applying a final coat of Martha Stewart Crafts High Gloss Finish (HGF) which hardened the surface and eliminated the tacky feel.

The hearts are puffy stickers from AC Moore. The shuttle is a Ruby Gem Moonlit shuttle from Handy Hands.

Update:

Still fiddling around with this shuttle! The coat of the HGF didn't adhere to the gel surface to the point that I could peel it off. Disappointed with how the shuttle looked, I decided to peel everything off and start over. Getting the gel off required a lot of soaking in non-acetone nail polish remover and scraping off sticky residue. In the process the stickers were damaged, but luckily I has dozens of them left. 

After applying new stickers, I brushed on a thin coat of the HGF and left the shuttle to dry overnight. I plan to add 2 more coats and see if I like the results better. It's all a learning process, and, at this point, I'm still learning about using the UV-activated gel and whether or not I like working with it.

1 comment:

Madtatter80 said...

I have been wanting to try the nailposish stuff for a while, i bought one from a Japanese sight and was disipointed it looked super cute but they used a different kind of shuttle like a clover. Anyway the resin seemed to turn the natural curve in the shuttle so they did not click and hold thread and I played too much but felt it was too much trouble to return and the whole translation problem. So I just will never buy from them again. And will to my own. I do think the starlite shuttle will do better with resin on it cause they seem to have extra strength when winding them up. Also I ment to say I love the one pictured at first I thought it was real chocolate and hope the next one can look that delicious 😍🍫😍