Saturday, October 14, 2017

2017 North Carolina State Fair Winners: Biscotti


The 2017 North Carolina State Fair opened this week and my daughter and I checked out my entries to see if had I won any ribbons. I wasn't expecting as many ribbons this year, but, nevertheless, I did win several ribbons. (I also had some "also-rans" which I will describe in a separate posting.)

My only 1st place award was not in a fiber craft at all. For the 2nd year, I entered the biscotti competition and beat my last year's 2nd place win with a blue ribbon this year. I baked the Butter-Pecan Biscotti recipe from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

The recipe called for butterscotch bits along with toasted, chopped pecans, and, to increase the buttery flavor, I used Lorann Professional Kitchen's Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion instead of regular vanilla extract. 

Oh my, these were tasty and I will be making them again.



2 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Congratulations, they sound yummy. The organisation I belong to in South Africa had biscotti as their baking competition earlier this year. I didn't enter it but listened to the judges comments. I suspect that none of the entrants really knew what biscotti are meant to be like!

Carolyn Kotlas said...

Jane, they're my favorite cookie to bake. They keep so well; they go with tea, coffee, or milk (and in Italy with wine). I get asked all the time if they're hard to make because people see that they cost more in bakeries than other cookies. I explain to them that unlike other kinds of cookies, the baker has to put them in the oven 2 times, but, for all that extra cost & work, they still only get one batch of cookies so they have to charge more. I plan to bake more of these butter-pecan biscotti to give away during the coming holidays. Wish I could send them over the Internet to my blog followers!