Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Butterfly Magnets for Lace Day

For the past two years I have made magnets for the North Carolina Regional Lacers Spring Lace Day goody bags The first year I made heart shaped magnets and last year I used a star shape. Although each year I use a different design, the process is generally the same. This year's magnet is a butterfly. I just finished making 110 of these since we often have quite a number of registrants for the event.


The paper is Strathmore 300 Series Watercolor paper, a heavy stock with a slight pebbly surface. I used a paper punch to make the butterfly shapes and backed them with small squares of peel-and-stick magnets. Each piece is coated with Mod Podge Extreme Glitter decoupage medium and left to dry.

The thread is Lizbeth size 80 in colorway #155 "Ocean Sunset." Some of the butterflies have four tiny tatted rings and others have a cluster of three little tatted flowers made up of multi-picot rings. The pieces of tatting are glued to the paper shapes with more Mod Podge and the pieces are again left to dry.


After the second drying the tatting is given a top coat of Mod Podge Extreme Glitter to secure them  onto the paper and to add more sparkle. Now they're ready for the goody bags, and I'm already thinking about what shape I'll use to make next year's magnets.

2 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

Wow you did such a nice job and so very many 💟🌹💟I got one of those beautiful butterflies and know first hand how lovely they are.

Jane McLellan said...

Lot of work! To good effect, the butterflies are lovely.