Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Shawls in balls

Recently, Lion Brand Yarns ran a sale on their Shawl in a Ball yarns. Normally, they're about $10 per ball, but the sale was 5 balls for $10 + shipping cost. Not that I needed more yarn, but it was a sale I could not resist. Rather than just add the yarn to my stash, I decided I needed the knitting motivation that comes when I have a specific recipient in mind. I asked my sister, daughter, sister-in-law, and niece to choose one of the balls I'd bought, and I would make them each a shawl. So far, I've finished 2 of the 4 shawls. Please note that I haven't washed and blocked them yet so they are more scrunched up than they will be when they are given out.


My Sister's Shawl


The colorway is "Reflective Crystal." The pattern, "Sedona Triangle Shawl", is a free pattern from Lion Brand specifically designed for the Shawl in a Ball yarns. It's an easy pattern made up of  alternating rows of stockinette and garter stitches. Below is a closeup.


My Daughter's Shawl

My daughter wanted a rectangular wrap with greens and browns. The colorway she chose is "Graceful Green." Sorry, but the photo does not do it justice. The free pattern is  "Nova Lace Pattern Wrap" from Tahki Yarns. It's knit lengthwise. I cast on fewer stitches than the pattern called for so I could have a bit more height than length in the final piece. It's a super-easy pattern with yarn-overs added on one row and dropped on the next to provide a lacy effect which will be more pronounced once I block the piece